Master of Science in Biomedical Engineering (MSBME)
The Master of Science in Biomedical Engineering (MSBME) is the first program of its kind in the GCC. This dynamic, multidisciplinary program will prepare you for advanced careers and/or doctoral studies related to biomedical engineering.
Recent developments in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region, and specifically in the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries, have increased the need for biomedical engineers. The tremendous rate of population growth in the MENA region is accompanied by a concurrent demand for and growth in healthcare services, such as hospitals, clinics, medical colleges, medical technology suppliers and biomedical engineering, which is reported to be one of the fastest growing engineering discipline worldwide.
Our MSBME program strives to create a stimulating academic environment that promotes excellence in teaching and research, helping its students to become competent, innovative and responsible professionals. Based on high standards similar to those followed in the United States, the MSBME curriculum provides core courses in mathematics, anatomy and physiology, followed by elective courses in several biomedical engineering sub-disciplines, including healthcare management and informatics, biomedical signals and devices, biomaterials and biofluidics.
The MSBME degree at AUS is offered to:
- Support local and regional healthcare industry needs with qualified biomedical engineers who are prepared to solve engineering problems and carry out research and development projects
- Meet the rapidly growing demand for specialized biomedical engineers to cope with the expanding regional healthcare industry
- Allow for appropriate technology transfer and development that will help enhance the performance of regional industries
- Present an efficient and formal mechanism to link local and regional industry with the AUS College of Engineering faculty and students to tackle mission-driven and applied research
- Provide an alternative to graduate education abroad for qualified students of the region
In the AUS MSBME program, students can select a number of multidisciplinary areas, including healthcare operations management, planning and risk management, biomedical informatics, instrumentation, signal processing, biomaterials, drug delivery and biomechanics. These areas of study enhance the technical skills of all biomedical engineers to meet today's demands as well as those of the future.
PROGRAM EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES
Graduates of the MSBME program will be prepared to:
- Be successful professionals in a specialized area of biomedical engineering
- Maintain a desire for research, innovation and lifelong learning
- Uphold the responsibilities of the engineering profession
Upon graduation, an AUS MSBME graduate should demonstrate the ability to:
- Perform research emphasizing creativity, independent learning and scientific methods in a chosen area of chemical engineering
- Apply advanced mathematics and engineering knowledge in identifying, formulating and solving engineering problems
- Select and use techniques, skills and modern tools necessary for research or professional practice
- Communicate effectively
- Recognize the need for, and engage in, lifelong learning
- Attend to professional and ethical responsibilities