Bachelor of Science in Industrial Engineering
Our undergraduate degree in industrial engineering offers an application-oriented and industry-driven curriculum.
One of the fastest growing professions in the world, industrial engineering integrates people, capital, material, equipment and information in an efficient way to produce and distribute goods and services with high quality at a low cost.
Accredited both by the Commission for Academic Accreditation of the Ministry of Education's Higher Education Affairs Division in the United Arab Emirates and by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET in the United States, our Industrial Engineering (IE) Program offers a distinctive curriculum that combines engineering and managerial knowledge.
This new program complements the extensive engineering majors the University offers, making AUS unique in the region in the variety of engineering programs available.
The Bachelor of Science in Industrial Engineering is a four-year program requiring a minimum of 140 credit hours for graduation. You will first develop broad and practical knowledge from general education courses (math, sciences, humanities and social sciences) and then take major courses in preparation for a career in the following professional areas:
supply chain and logistics engineering (production planning and control, materials and supply management, inventory and warehousing management, production scheduling, supply chain management, facility design and location, and logistic engineering)
quality and maintenance engineering (quality control, quality improvement, quality auditing, six sigma, maintenance engineering, reliability engineering, maintenance planning and scheduling)
The mission of the industrial engineering program at AUS is to promote and maintain excellence in teaching and learning to equip students with strong core competencies in industrial engineering and empower them with the skills required for successful professional careers. The industrial engineering program promotes and enhances faculty expertise in research and development toward providing technical solutions for social challenges and community advancement through outreach activities and networking with regional and international organizations.
PROGRAM EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES
The objectives of the industrial engineering program are to produce graduates who will:
- Have successful careers as industrial engineers, especially in the fields of logistics and supply chain engineering, as well as quality and maintenance engineering
- Think independently and communicate effectively as team members and team leaders
- Practice engineering considering global, ethical and social factors
- Continue their professional development through further education and advanced studies
Upon graduation, an AUS graduate in industrial engineering should demonstrate:
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering
- An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- An ability to design a system, component or process to meet the desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability and sustainability
- An ability to function on multidisciplinary teams
- An ability to identify, formulate and solve engineering problems
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibilities
- An ability to communicate effectively
- The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental and societal context
- A recognition of the need for and an ability to engage in lifelong learning
- A knowledge of contemporary issues
- An ability to use the techniques, skills and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice