Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering
Accredited by the Ministry of Education's Higher Education Affairs Division in the United Arab Emirates and the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET in the United States, our 140-credit civil engineering degree course will help you develop a wide set of skills in engineering, mathematics, humanities and social sciences, basic sciences and design.
Consistent with the demands of international and national accreditation requirements and targeting specific industry needs of the region, this undergraduate degree in civil engineering takes about four years to complete.
By the end of it, you will have developed a broad foundation in all disciplines of civil engineering.
Among the main subjects of the program are structural engineering, construction materials, geotechnical engineering, transportation engineering, water resources, environmental engineering and construction management.
The civil engineering degree will also help you improve your communication skills, use computer tools and develop high standards of professional ethics.
We place considerable emphasis on group-based, open-ended design projects, and we motivate our students to stay ahead of current technical developments and environmental and global issues.
With governments throughout the region eager to develop and enhance their infrastructure and the construction industry playing a significant role in that development, our region has seen an increased demand for civil engineers. As a result, you will be in a privileged position to start a career in this sector upon graduation.
The mission of the civil engineering program at AUS is to provide students with the highest level of technical preparation, social responsibility, leadership and lifelong learning skills for successful careers in civil engineering.
The department offers quality education based on a nationally and internationally recognized curriculum supported by well-equipped laboratories and state-of-the-art educational tools.
The department provides a professional environment that fosters fairness, ethics, diversity, faculty development, quality research, and outreach with industry and public agencies.
PROGRAM EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES
The objectives of the civil engineering program are to produce graduates who will:
- Have successful careers in civil engineering and become independent thinkers, effective communicators, team members, decision makers and leaders in industry and public sectors
- Understand the global, ethical and social implications of the civil engineering profession and promote public safety and environmental protection
- Pursue advanced studies successfully and engage in continuing education and lifelong learning
Upon graduation, an AUS graduate in civil engineering should demonstrate:
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering
- An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- An ability to design a system, component or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability and sustainability
- An ability to function on multidisciplinary teams
- An ability to identify, formulate and solve engineering problems
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- An ability to communicate effectively
- The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental and societal context
- A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in lifelong learning
- A knowledge of contemporary issues
- An ability to use the techniques, skills and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice
- An ability to explain basic concepts in management, business, public policy and leadership, and the importance of professional licensure