Bachelor of Science in Chemistry
Chemistry is the basis of life and everything around us
The Bachelor of Science Degree in Chemistry is designed to prepare students for careers as professional chemists, but also serves as a foundation for careers in fields such as biology and medicine. The curriculum begins with a fundamental introduction to inorganic, organic, and physical chemistry, then adds more specialized courses such as analytical, instrumental, and biological chemistry. Students gain laboratory experience in most courses and dedicated undergraduate students have the opportunity to participate in one of the many ongoing research projects conducted by faculty.
Upon graduation from our program, our students will be able to:
- Participate effectively in practical, experience-based learning, through conferences, field experiences, workshops and independent research projects
- Apply technologies and use advanced chemical instrumentation such as nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR), high-pressure liquid chromatography (HPLC), inductively coupled plasma spectrometry (ICP) and Fourier-transform infrared spectrometry (FTIR)
- Identify and carry out thoughtful approaches to chemistry-related problems, understand ethical issues and chemical waste management
- Define simple research tasks, carry them out and use appropriate statistical analysis in the treatment of data
- Develop competence in critical thinking, communications, teamwork, information technology and adaptation to change
- Produce written and oral reports in the style most commonly used in scientific literature
Our graduates have enrolled at graduate programs in some of the best universities around the world as well as found employment in a wide range of industries such as in agricultural companies, chemical distribution companies, chemical laboratories, chemical manufacturing plants, chemistry consulting firms, government, hospital research laboratories, industrial laboratories and many others.