Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering
At the Department of Chemical Engineering, we provide you with a challenging and contemporary chemical engineering degree program enhanced by the research accomplishments of our faculty members.
We value excellence in teaching, quality research and service, along with the intellectual development of students in a challenging, rewarding academic environment.
Our 140-credit BS program is accredited both by the Ministry of Education's Higher Education Affairs Division in the United Arab Emirates and by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET in the United States.
Our department is known throughout the country for its diverse student body, faculty research and the success of its alumni.
You will benefit from studying in a multicultural environment that fosters critical thinking, lifelong learning, frequent opportunities to interact with faculty and staff, use of current chemical engineering simulation software and development of communication skills.
The chemical engineering degree, with a petroleum engineering minor option, is tailored to serve the needs of national and regional chemical and petroleum industries. For the benefit of society at large, we also ensure that you are educated to be environmentally and ethically responsible.
Our comprehensive curriculum consists of a four-year, 140-credit- degree plan leading to the Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering that meets the needs of the engineering community in the United Arab Emirates and the Gulf region.
Providing breadth and depth of knowledge and significant design experience, our program also gives you a chance to gain hands-on laboratory experience across the key areas of chemical engineering.
Our program includes university requirements and core requirements for all chemical engineering students. In addition, each student must also complete technical and free elective courses. The program also requires a summer internship experience as well as a senior project accomplished over two semesters.
The mission of the chemical engineering program at AUS is to prepare students for a technical career, to be innovative and ethically responsible, and to provide leadership in chemical engineering and related disciplines.
PROGRAM EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES
The objectives of the chemical engineering program are to produce graduates who will:
- Succeed in the chemical engineering profession through technical competence, effective communication, teamwork and leadership
- Maintain a lifelong interest in learning for personal and professional development
- Practice engineering in a manner that is ethically responsible and consistent with regulatory and social concerns
Upon graduation, an AUS graduate in chemical engineering should demonstrate:
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering
- An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- An ability to design a system, component or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability and sustainability
- An ability to function on multidisciplinary teams
- An ability to identify, formulate and solve engineering problems
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- An ability to communicate effectively
- The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental and societal context
- A recognition of the need for and an ability to engage in lifelong learning
- A knowledge of contemporary issues
- An ability to use the techniques, skills and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice