The institution was founded in 1919 as The School of Automobile Trades and opened under the direction of Albert Sobey to train engineering and management personnel. In 1923, the school became the Flint Institute of Technology offering a four-year cooperative education program, and enrolling more than 600 students. Recognizing the potential of cooperative education, the General Motors Corporation took over financial support of the school in 1926, renamed it General Motors Institute, and started utilizing the facility to develop engineers and managers. In 1945, the Institute added a fifth-year thesis requirement and became a degree-granting college with a continuing commitment to cooperative education.
GM divested itself of ownership of the school in 1982 and the schools was renamed GMI Engineering & Management Institute. Also in 1982, the institution began offering graduate programs to on- and off-campus students.
The True Kettering compass represents the daily efforts of Kettering University students, faculty, and staff to live our shared mission, vision, values, and pillars of success. Our collective efforts and pursuit of excellence advance the University on a daily basis.
Kettering University prepares students for lives of extraordinary leadership and service by linking transformative experiential learning opportunities to rigorous academic programs in engineering, science, mathematics, and business.